May 16, 2011
Charlie had a HUGE week. He has been working for 9 months with family and therapists to overcome the physical setbacks caused by his stroke and this week, it all started coming together. Here is the incredible list of physical feats that Charlie has demonstrated this week alone:
1) Sitting in an upright position for 20-30 seconds unassisted
2) Standing on two legs at the edge of a coffee table while supporting his own weight with his right hand and left arm.
3) Making multi syllabic sounds using consonants and vowels: ie. "dup dah day", "day dop", "bah bap boo", "yap yah bah".
4) Waving his right hand in response to being waved at.
5) Pushing his upper body up with both arms from a tummy lying position.
6) Pulling his knees up and under his body from a tummy lying position.
As you know, these are enormous shifts for a baby with a grade four inter-cranial bleed. The effects of Charlie's stroke are so much less than they were even three weeks ago and we're more than thrilled to hear about Charlie's amazing progress. Go, Charlie, Go!